TAKE CLIMATE ACTION
FOR A BRIGHT FUTURE
Climate change is real and it’s happening now. Scientists have warned that if greenhouse gas emissions continue to rise, we will pass the threshold of 2 degrees above pre-industrial levels. The damage resulting could be catastrophic and irreversible, affecting us all. This year’s climate summit in Paris could be the answer to a global agreement for how to tackle climate change – but we must all take action to ensure this happens!
The 21st session of the Conference of Parties, also known as The Climate Summit, or COP21, will be held in Paris, France, from 30th of November - 11th of December 2015. The conference aims to achieve a binding and universal agreement on climate change, known as the ‘Paris Agreement’. Unilever CEO, Paul Polman, believes the summit is an important step in taking action against climate change for a bright future: “It’s not about doing less harm. It’s about moving to positive contributions. This is what makes 2015 a pivotal year.”
Events are taking place outside of the formal conference to urge countries and world leaders to reach an agreement, supported by Unilever and our brands. The People's Climate March had close to 700,000 people on the streets last year, all around the world, demanding climate action. If you’d like to participate this year, click here to find a climate march near you.
At Unilever, we’re committed to doing our part to help tackle climate change and we want to go strong and far in the areas that are within our control. That’s why we’ve committed to becoming ‘carbon positive’ by 2030. That means 100% of our energy across our operations will come from renewable sources. With our partners, we will work to generate renewable energy and any surplus energy that we won’t need ourselves, we will make available to the markets and communities in which we operate. It’s the first time we’ve put a deadline in place for our commitment to source 100% clean energy for our operations. To read more about our ‘carbon positive’ goal, click here.
Here are some of the ways our brands are helping to create a bright future through our Sustainable Living Plan:
- In Holland, The Chunkinator from Ben & Jerry’s has created the world’s first ice cream powered factory!
- In South Africa, a bi-product of the seed oil used in Flora, Stork, Rama and Rondo spreads is used as a fuel to deliver energy back into our factory.
- In our UK Marmite factory, thousands of tonnes of Marmite waste is converted into methane, which is used to provide 30% of the factory’s thermal energy.
- We source our palm oil 100% sustainably, largely by investing in GreenPalm certificates. Click here to learn more.
It’s vital an agreement is reached this year for economies, businesses and societies to continue to function and to ensure a bright future for our children and for generations to come. To change everything, we need everyone!
Here are some ways you can get involved and take Climate Action:
- Ben & Jerry’s is creating a movement for climate action. They are partnering with Avaaz to unite millions of citizens from around the world to call on leaders to reach a clean energy agreement at the summit. Click here to sign the petition now!
- Unilever has partnered with WWF to help protect one million trees in two of the world’s most threatened forest areas. Sign our pledge to help end deforestation and we’ll help protect a tree on your behalf.
- Want to march for Climate Action? Click here to find a march near you.
- In a simple social experiment, Unilever and Upworthy put office temps to the test to help shine a light on climate change. Watch and Share the Upworthy film to help spread awareness of this important issue.